How to add a birthday field for customers in Shopify
It may be easier than you think to collect and use customer birthday information from Shopify. Our app allows you to customize a variety of birthday options, whether you want full birthdate (day, month, year) or just birthday year.
To create a birthday field:
1. Login to the Customer Fields app, select the Fields Tab. This page allows you to edit your field options and add new fields.
2. Select “+NEW FIELD” to create a new field and select the date tab.
3. In the date options, you can choose from the following:
- BIRTHDAY: creates three separate fields—day, month, and year (full birthdate)
- DAY: creates day field only
- MONTH: creates month field only
- YEAR: creates year field only
When choosing the BIRTHDAY option, the keys are automatically set to birthday_day, birthday_month, and birthday_year (although you can change them if desired). You will have to create your own keys for the remaining options (DAY, MONTH, and YEAR).
4. Be sure to click SAVE once you’ve selected one of the date options.
Now that you’ve created your birthday fields, you can edit them to your preference.
To edit a field, simply click on the desired field and the field options will appear. From the field options, you can customize a variety of things; label, placeholder text, amount of days/months/years to choose from, and much more.
Here are some helpful hints for using field options:
- The right-hand column of numbers represents what will be displayed.
- To display a specific range of years, select the birthday year field and go to field options. In the “Years Back” and “Years Forward” sections, input numbers based on your desired range of years. The “Year Order” has two options: descending or ascending. Descending—most recent years at the top of the drop-down menu, ascending—most recent years at the bottom of the drop-down menu.
- To add or delete days to choose from, select the birthday day field and notice the Choices section under field options. Here, the default amount of days is 31, but you can change this by scrolling to the end of the Choices section and adding or deleting days.
Sweet, your birthday fields are successfully set up! 👍 Your next step might be getting that customer data. Not a problem; just be sure to check out getting customer data.How to add a birthday field for customer accounts in Shopify Send your Shopify customers personalized messages and promotions by collecting their birthday information.